What is a Workspace?
A Workspace is how you bundle GitHub repositories into a single view and can consist of a single or multiple GitHub repositories. With ZenHub Workspaces, the same GitHub repository can be added to multiple Boards. In other words, Issues and Epics can be added and updated in different Workspaces at the same time yet have an independent pipeline allocation for each Workspace. This empowers teams who share repos, but have otherwise independent workflows, to no longer have to share the same pipeline flow across the Board.
With Workspaces you can:
- Create multiple Workspaces from the same repos. This means teams can work on the same set of Issues without compromising on the order and set of pipelines.
- View an Issue to see the progress and status in every single Workspace. Easily update the Issue’s pipeline in your Workspace without compromising other teams’ workflows. Any updates to the Issues or Epics (content, labels, Estimates, etc) are reflected in all related Workspaces.
- Navigate through your teams’ Workspaces to instantly see the status of all the Issues and Epics. Easily check the progress of each area to gain full visibility.
Teams using ZenHub Enterprise must be on ZenHub Enterprise 2.36 or above in order to create multiple Workspaces with the same repository
Setting up Workspaces
- Click the Create new Workspace button on the Workspace navigator or select “Edit Workspace” to update an existing Workspace. If you create a new repo, you will automatically be prompted to create a Workspace when you view it in ZenHub.
- Give your Workspace a name and description. Names of Workspaces must be unique and therefore no two Workspaces can be named the same. Descriptions are optional but highly recommended. This will help provide clarity for the team on the purpose of the Workspace. This is especially helpful if you have similar repos but slightly different use cases per-repo.
- Add any number of repositories you would like to be part of this Workspace. You can add multiple repositories to the Workspace by selecting the +Add Reposoption.
- Up to five repos can be added at a time. However, you can repeat this process as many times as required. As you add repos, you'll get a performance load time indicator to help determine how the amount of repos you're connecting will potentially impact load times. Learn more about repo combos and load times.
- Add repos from another organization by using the avatar on the bottom left of the modal.
- Once you've selected the repositories you want in your Workspace, be sure to set a default. From now on, new Issues will be created in this repo unless another repo has been selected during creation. The default setting applies only when creating new Issues and is a user setting, not a team setting. This can be updated when creating or editing a Workspace.
IMPORTANT: When you add a repo, all of the Issues in will appear in the new Workspace.
- Once you are happy with the repositories you'd like to connect, click Complete board setup
- You’ll be prompted to decide where the Issues from the new repo will appear in your Workspace. You can copy an existing Workspaces Issue placement, otherwise all issues will be grouped into a single pipeline.
- Click finish and check out your new Workspace!
Favorite a Workspace
If you frequent the same few Workspaces to manage your work, once a Workspace is named you can favorite it to have it at the top of the Workspace navigator. Click the star next to the Workspace name on the sidebar to add it to your favorites:
Once favorited, it'll be added to the sidebar navigation for easy access.
- Automation: We are kicking off user discovery for workflow automation. Reach out to us and share your suggestions through our Product Board.
- Reporting: With this release, some of our older reports haven’t made the jump to Workspace compatibility - yet. You can still access them and filter by repo rather than the Workspace as a whole. We have already started looking into updating these reports as well as further improving the performance of both charts. Our latest reports (Control chart and Cumulative flow) are Workspace-ready as well as the Release report.