Whether you're new to ZenHub or would just like a refresher, here is our go-to guide for board basics. Get to know Issue cards, how the ZenHub filters work, understanding dependencies on the Board, to navigating without leaving your keyboard!
Here's an overview of everything included:
- A guide to Issue cards
- How to use multi-action to make bulk Issue updates
- Tracking Issue activity with Issue card notifications
- Understanding blockers with Dependency icons
- How to perform quick-Issue updates
- Renaming, deleting, and adding pipelines
- Using Board view settings to hide/show various issue card metadata
- Pipeline sorting options
- Viewing Issues across multiple repos using multi-repo Board filters
- Available filters and how they work
- Interacting with Epics on the Board
- Board shortcuts
Guide to Issue cards
Get acquainted with Issue Cards, pipelines, filtering, and all the visual cues on the Board.
- The purple sidebar:real-time indicators of Issue activity, where you've participated, commented, or been mentioned.
- Milestone, Epic, and Release details: If an Issue is in a Milestone, attached to an Epic, or assigned to a Release, each of these details appear in the middle of the Issue card under their respective icons.
- Estimate: The purple circle in the bottom left is the assigned story point value on the Issue.
- Labels: All assigned labels on the Issue.
- Assignee on the Issue: When an Issue is assigned, the avatar of the individual appears on the top left. If there is no assignee, you'll see a default icon (outline of a person). Select the avatar to enter multi-select!
- Settings cog and collapse/expand pipeline options on the pipeline: The settings menu contains options to sort the pipeline, rename the pipeline, or delete it. Use the expand/collapse options to hide a pipeline, or make it take up more space on the Board.
- Dependency and activity icons on Issue cards: If an issue is blocked, or blocking another Issue, dependency icons appear. These can be clicked to filter the Board by the dependency. If there is recent activity on the Issue, upon hover, the activity icon will appear. Click on the bell to view the recent activity.
- Issue and story point totals: The top of the pipeline sums up the total Issues in the pipeline, and if you're using estimates, the total story point value for all Issues in the pipeline.
- Closed Pull Request status: When a pull request is on the Board, and attached to an Issue, you'll see the closed icon if the PR gets closed or merged.
- Pull Requests connected to an Issue: When you see 'nested' grey cards located within the Issue card, these are connected pull requests.
Use multi-action to make bulk Issue updates
If you're getting your Board setup, or making bulk actions, you can enter multi-action to make changes swiftly. To enter multi-action, click on the avatar of any Issue card.
Once in multi-action you can select as many Issue cards as needed before making changes. Using multi-action you can:
- Move the Issues to a different pipeline
- Apply or remove labels in bulk
- Set a Milestone (Assign to a Sprint) or clear the Issue's Milestones
- Set or remove Issue Estimates
- Assign to someone in the team, or unassign team members from all Issue cards selected
- Add the Issues to an Epic or clear the Issues' Epics
- Add or remove the Issues to a Release
Track Issue activity with Issue card notifications
Issues with new activity will be highlighted on the ZenHub Board with a blue line to the left of each Issue. Use ZenHub's Board notifications to track recent activity on GitHub Issues you're following, subscribed to, or participating in. Learn more
Understand blockers with Dependency icons
When Dependencies get added to Issues, you can view that Dependency directly from the Board. Four different icons will appear across your Issues as Dependencies get added:
- No entry: This Issue is blocked by other Issues
- Warning sign: This Issue is blocking another Issue
- Diamond: Issue is blocked by another Issue, as well as blocking an Issue
- Question mark: When a question mark appears on an Issue, it indicates that a dependency exists but it is being filtered out. It should only appear when you have a multi-repo Board and are only showing a subset of those repos on the Board. To update the Issue with it’s blocking status, click the show all button on the repo filter on the top left of the Board
Use Issue options to close, or change the pipeline position
Clean up your Board or make swift changes by hovering on the Issue, and opening the quick options settings by selecting the three dots in the top corner. Issue options include:
- Entering multi-action by selecting the Issue
- Closing the Issue
- Sending it to the top of the pipeline
- Pushing it to the bottom of the pipeline
Personalize your Board
ZenHub Boards come with six default pipelines to start with: New Issues, Backlog, To-Do, In Progress, Done, and Closed. However since every team works differently, we offer various features to help get the Board customized to suit more unique workflows.
Rename and delete pipelines
Behind the cog icon on the top of the pipeline is the option to rename existing pipelines, or delete them.
Renaming and deleting pipelines impacts everyone in the team
When you rename and delete pipelines, you'll be asked to confirm your changes. These actions are global, impacting anyone using the Board. Deleting a pipeline moves all the Issues in that pipeline to the pipeline furthest left in your Board.
Add new pipelines
As your team makes workflow changes, ZenHub makes it easy to focus on kaizen and keep your workflow flexible. Scroll to the far right of your Board to add a new pipeline!
Use Board view settings to hide/show various issue card metadata
Customize what information you see on each Issue card using the view settings option. You can hide metadata, turn off labels, choose to only display Issues and not Pull Requests, and much more. Board view options is also where you can enter fullscreen.
Making changes to the view options will only impact your view, not your teammates. Each change you make to the view options gets saved in the URL parameters for the next time you come back. If you bookmark a Board URL with a customized view options, the bookmark will remember your preferences on your next visit.
Don't need to see a pipeline? No problem! Collapse it to focus on the stages most applicable to you. Expanding and collapsing pipelines doesn't impact anyone else's view, only your own.
Filter and organize information
The Board has custom filtering options to help teams view only what they need, to focus on moving things forward. From sorting pipelines to complex queries, learn more about filtering the Board below.
By default, pipelines get sorted manually. You can drag-and-drop Issue cards to create priority, by using the top-most card in the pipeline as highest priority. Or, if you want to bundle each stage in your workflow by a particular sub-set of information, use the pipeline cog to sort by:
- Title A-Z
- Title Z-A
- Repo (only applicable for multi-repo Boards)
- or, Milestone
For all sort options, if there are multiples of a grouping (for example 2 assignees on an Issue), the sort order is chronological first, groupings second.
Viewing only specific repos on a multi-repo Board
If your team works aross multiple GitHub repositories, you can use the merge repo workflow to combine Board views. Once merged, you can filter these connected repos on and off using the Repos filter.
- A check mark indicates you are viewing Issues on the Board from that repo, and all repos with checkmarks
- No check mark indicates Issues from that repo will not appear on the Board
- Hovering over a repo gives you the option to Disconnect. This permanently separates the connected Board, leaving the newly disconnected repo to be separate, in it's own Board view
- Add a repo + is how you enter the merge process
Before merging or disconnecting Boards, check with your team
Toggling your view to only see Issues from particular repos only impacts what you see; however, adding repos, or disconnecting them is a global change and impacts everyone's view.
Learn more about creating multi-repo Boards here.
More on Board filters
Each set of filters can be used with either any (or) or all filtering functionality. You can filter by:
- Authors (the creator of an Issue)
Once filtered, you can also leverage the Select all option to enter multi-action quickly, without having to select individual Issue cards.
The Board Assignee filter will display the the names of all team members who have been assigned to Issues that are currently on the Board. This means the filter will only display a subset of assignees, as only those that have Issues assigned to them on the Board can be filtered.
The Milestone filter on the Board currently displays all open Milestones, where Issues on the Board exist within that Milestone. If you need to filter the Board by a previous Milestone, you can head to the Milestone within the GitHub page via the Issues tab, navigating to Closed, then click into the milestone, using the See this milestone on the board option. You can also use the ZenHub Milestone page in the web app.
Epics on the Board
All Epics on the Board will appear with a unique Show all Epic Issue button on the bottom of the Issue card. These Epic buttons allow you to quick-filter the Board by the Epic.
Selecting Show all Epic issues will auto-filter the Board by the Epic selected, displaying all attached Issues and nested Epics.
Don't want to see Epics on your Board? Select the Label filter and use the not: parameter to target the Epic label.
In the Epic filter, you can also customize your Board view to hide and display subsets of Epic information, including:
- Show all Epics and subtasks: This hides all Issues on the Board not in Epics.
- Show all Epics and hide subtasks: This hides all Issues on the Board not in Epics and all Issues within all Epics.
- Show all issues not in an Epic: This displays only Issues that have not been assigned to an Epic. It also hides all Epics.
Want to navigate the Board without leaving your keyboard? We have a suite of shortcuts, including a robust set of Board and multi-action shortcuts you can use.
View and filter shortcuts
On the Board you can use these shortcuts to swiftly find and manage your Issues.
Search: f + i
New Issue: n + i
Enter Fullscreen: shift + f
Filter Repo: b + p
Filter Labels: b + l
Filter Milestones: b + m
Filter Assignees: b + a
Filter Epics: b + k
Filter Releases: b + r
When Issues are selected on the Board, use these shortcuts to interact with the Multi-action options.
Select Pipeline: b + p
Select Label: b + l
Select Assignee: b + a
Select Milestone: b + m
Select Estimate: b + e
Select Epic: b + k
Select Release: b + r